Ask Jack About Debt

You do not think you owe this debt or the amount is incorrect


The thing to do in this case is to take advantage of the FDCPA and send the collection agency a Cease and Desist Letter, using the postal service, Certified Mail, return receipt requested. You can copy and paste this one, filling in the blanks:



TO: [ name and address of collection agency ]

FROM: [ your name and address ]

RE ACCOUNT NUMBER: [ account number if relevant. It should be on any letter you have received from collection agency ]

BALANCE DUE: [ amount ]

You are herby notified, under provisions of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act [15 USC 1692c], that you must cease and desist all communications with me after being notified in writing that I no longer wish to communicate with you.

Therefore I demand that you stop calling me at home, at work, on my cell phone or any other location.

In accordance with the federal FDCPA, now that you have received this letter, you may contact me only to inform me that you are terminating further collection efforts; invoking specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by you or your company; or you intend to invoke a specified remedy.

1. You and your organization must CEASE AND DESIST all attempts to collect the above debt. Failure to comply with this law will result in my immediate filing of a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General of [insert name of your state].

2. Let this letter also serve as your warning that I may utilize telephone recording devices in order to document any conversations that we may have in the future.

3. Furthermore, if any negative information is placed on my credit bureau reports by your agency after receipt of this notice, I intend to pursue any and all remedies available to me by law by means of civil suits against you and your organization, both personally and corporately.

This debt is under dispute.

[You may wish to add information about why you do not think you owe this debt. For example, you might say "This debt was settled. Your records are incorrect." Or "I do not think I owe what you claim." Or "This debt is beyond the statute of limitations." Or "This debt was discharged in bankruptcy." Or "I have been negotiating the details of this debt with the original creditor."]

[ your name and signature]

Go to First Page of this Section: Stop Debt Collector Harassment


| Privacy Policy |Contact Us | 2008 Jack Edmonston