How to get your federal student loan forgiven, cancelled or discharged

Most people do not qualify for any of the ways one can get federal student loans dismissed or reduced, but there are so many ways, it may be worth your while to check.   For example, if you work in a public service occupation, you can get annual forgiveness of part of your loan.  If you are disabled you may be able to get relief.  And despite what you may have heard, bankruptcy is available in certain situations.

There is also a category of problems dealing with the school you attended that could be triggers for loan cancellation. The  Federal Student Aid office of the US Department of Education has a site which includes a chart of the various options and loan types to which they apply as well as some information about how to proceed if you fit into any of the categories.

Comments are closed.